The 7 Ways CBD Oil Helps Foot Problems
Pain is pain no matter what part of the body is affected by it. But when pain originates in the foot, it can be life-altering by affecting your mobility and preventing you from enjoying routine daily activities, such as shopping, taking your kids to the park and exercising.
According to a recent American Podiatric Medical Associates study, nearly 80 percent of adult Americans have experienced a foot problem. Sources of foot pain range from bunions and ill-fitting shoes to more severe ailments, such as Achilles tendonitis, arthritis and diabetic neuropathy.
Regardless of its source, almost 50 percent of people with foot ailments choose over-the-counter products for relief, while 25 percent do nothing. One increasingly popular alternative to chasing away foot pain is with cannabidiol (CBD) products. Recent studies have found that transdermal (topical) CBD significantly reduced joint swelling and pain without adverse side effects. That’s great news for those managing foot pain but how does it work?
How CBD Oil Works Against Pain and Inflammation
Hemp-derived CBD oil interacts directly with receptors in our endocannabinoid system. Also known as the ECS, the endocannabinoid system is a network of receptors responsible for regulating vital functions such as sleep cycles, inflammatory response, and stress levels.
The action of CBD oil on the ECS has a full-body effect that may also help manage foot problems due to its anti-inflammatory and pain-reducing properties. Hemp-derived CBD also has the added benefit of providing temporary relief without the psychoactive properties inherent with products containing THC. In fact, hemp-derived CBD oil must have 0.3 percent or less THC content as mandated by law.
Although all high-quality CBD oils have anti-inflammatory properties and can be effective in treating a variety of symptoms related to foot pain, certain administration likely yields the fastest results when used for seven common foot problems.
7 Common Foot Problems
There are hundreds of conditions that can be classified as foot problems, and this list is far from exhaustive, but some of the most common are described below along with recommended CBD products that may help alleviate pain and inflammation.
1. Achilles Tendinitis and other forms of Tendonitis– is an injury of the Achilles tendon that connects the calf muscles of the lower leg to your heel bone. It’s a common injury among runners who overdo it during training and among people who run moderately but are in not-so-good shape.
Achilles tendinitis pain typically begins as a dull ache in the calf and or the back of the leg. At times, it can intensify if there is not enough time given for the injury to heal or if the tendon tears, which would then require special medical attention. The properties of hemp-derived CBD oil to reduce pain and inflammation may help this type of injury.
2. Diabetic neuropathy- is a type of nerve damage that can occur if you have diabetes. High blood sugar (glucose) can injure nerves throughout your body. Diabetic neuropathy most often damages nerves in your legs and feet. It develops gradually and is comprised of four main types of this condition:
- Peripheral neuropathy-feet and legs affected first followed by hands and arms
- Autonomic neuropathy-affects neural system controlling heart, lungs bladder, etc.
- Proximal neuropathy- also called diabetic amyotrophy, this condition is more common in people who have type 2 diabetes and in older adults
- Mononeuropathy-comes on suddenly and involves damage to a specific nerve, causing pain in the foot, thigh or anywhere else in the body
Diabetic neuropathy can cause a wide range of serious foot problems, such as ulcers, infections, deformities, and bone and joint pain. Diabetic neuropathy is a serious complication of diabetes that affects up to 50 percent of people with the condition.
Besides people who have diabetes, those who are substantially overweight, smoke or who have kidney disease are also at risk for diabetic neuropathy. Hemp-derived CBD oil can help with pain management, inflammation management and neuroprotection of the foot.
3. Gout- is a form of arthritis resulting from a buildup of excess uric acid in the bloodstream. Uric acid crystals eventually form in the joints, especially around the big toe and cause swelling and intense pain.
The tendency to experience a gout attack can be an inherited trait but it can also be brought on by high blood pressure, diabetes, obesity, surgery, chemotherapy, stress and certain medications. Limiting consumption of certain foods and drinks may reduce your chances of getting gout. Limiting or avoiding shellfish, organ meats (kidney, liver, etc.), red wine, beer, and red meat are good ways to start.
Hemp-derived CBD oil can help with pain management, inflammation management and neuroprotection of the foot and joints. Recommended CBD products include CBD with capsaicin, Pain Cream with CBD & Lidocaine, Warming CBD Salve, CBD Pain Patch
4. Degenerative Hallux Disorders-In addition to its tendency for getting stubbed, your big toe (great toe or hallux in medical terminology) is susceptible to a number of painful conditions including:
- degenerative arthritis (hallux rigidus)
- bunions (hallux valgus)
- traumatic conditions (sesamoiditis or turf toe)
Pain and inflammation management often calls for cold or heat compresses, change of diet or surgery. When symptoms are mild or easily managed, a high-quality CBD oil topical may provide temporary relief without the side effects of OTC analgesics or prescribed medications.
5. Heel Pain, Plantar Fasciitis- Plantar fasciitis is one of the most common causes of heel pain. Almost one third of US adult respondents to a recent survey cited heel pain as the primary source of their foot pain. Heel pain happens when inflammation occurs with a thick band of tissue that runs across the bottom of your foot and connects your heel bone to your toes (plantar fascia).
Plantar fasciitis most commonly occurs in people with high arches or flat feet. It can also happen to people who spend long hours on their feet without the proper supportive footwear.
Anti-inflammatory and pain relieving properties of CBD may help to manage the symptoms as well as to suppress the inflammation that causes the pain.
6. Neuroma – is a painful condition, also referred to as a “pinched nerve” or a nerve tumor. It is a benign growth of nerve tissue frequently found between the third and fourth toes. It brings on pain, a burning sensation, tingling, or numbness between the toes and in the ball of the foot. The most common cause of neuroma is wearing ill-fitting shoes, high heels or shoes with a tapered toe box.
The good news is that mild neuromas can be managed with padding, orthopedic devices or modifying your activities that put pressure on your feet. CBD oil can help with pain management, inflammation management and neuroprotection.
7. Tarsal Tunnel Syndrome-Tarsal tunnel syndrome is a compression, or squeezing, on the posterior tibial nerve that produces symptoms anywhere along the path of the nerve running from the inside of the ankle into the foot. In layman’s terms, if you have tarsal tunnel syndrome, you have painfully swollen ankles and feet.
Tarsal tunnel syndrome is similar to carpal tunnel syndrome, which occurs in the wrist. CBD oil can help with pain management, inflammation management and neuroprotection.
Our feet have 25 percent of all the bones in our bodies – 52 bones in all. With 33 joints, 107 ligaments, and 19 muscles and multiple tendons holding everything together, the foot is susceptible to a variety of injuries and ailments likely to cause pain and immobility. Hemp-derived CBD oil has been shown to have beneficial properties lessening the severity of inflammation and pain.
When pain and inflammation can’t be alleviated by taking off shoes and kicking your heels up, CBD oil products may provide relief in a more holistic, natural way without the side effects of over the counter and prescribed medications.
CBD Oil For Plantar Fasciitis & Foot Pain 2022: Does It Help?
Plantar fasciitis  is one of the common reasons that cause heel pain. Pain in the bottom of the heel or front of the heel is a typical symptom of plantar fasciitis. The plantar fascia is the thick band that runs at the bottom of the foot and connects the heel to the toes. Plantar fasciitis is a degenerative condition that affects the thick band of tissue that covers the bones in the bottom of the foot (plantar fascia). The function of the plantar fascia is shock absorption and to support the arch of the foot, helping us walk. Plantar fasciitis causes falls, pain in the heel, and a disability that results in overall poor quality of life. A survey conducted in 2013 reported  that one percent of US adults had plantar fasciitis. The plantar fascia ligaments undergo a lot of wear and tear in daily life. Increased pressure can lead to inflammation, stiffness, and heel pain. Over time, it can tear or damage these ligaments.
Best CBD Oil For Plantar Fasciitis & Foot Pain on the market in (May. 2022)
- Spruce CBD – Best potency products
- CBDfx – Best range of products
- Joy Organics Sport Cream – Best fast-acting products
- CBDistillery CBD Warming Cream – Editor’s choice
- Medterra – Best pain relief products
Does CBD Oil Help Plantar Fasciitis Pain?
Cannabis and cannabinoids work on the endocannabinoid system and can work on multiple pain targets such as neuropathic pain, chronic inflammatory pain, chronic pain, as in arthritis, fibromyalgia, and cancer pain. In a study with animal models  , cannabinoids such as CB1, CB2, endocannabinoids, endocannabinoid modulators, and mixed CB1 and CB2 agonists suppressed the pain behavior. CBD is popular in treating pain in arthritic patients. CBD is widely used for pain management, inflammation, and anxiety.
Studies  reported that the topical route of drug administration (transdermal absorption) reduced swelling and severe pain due to arthritis. Furthermore, cannabinoid receptors in the brain and spinal cord that handle and process pain suggest that endogenous cannabinoids such as anandamide may control the initiation of pain and its transmission in the central nervous system.
Furthermore, researchers  highly recommend using CBD oils to manage hard-to-treat pain such as foot conditions such as arthritis and discomfort caused by foot conditions.
Coming to plantar fasciitis, according to the American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons  , two million patients get treated each year for plantar fasciitis. The major cause is inflammation of the plantar fascia, the connective tissue between the heel bone and toes. Although there are many treatment options, CBD products are a current trend as they offer a wide range of therapeutic benefits.
There are not enough studies that focus on the effects of CBD on plantar fasciitis. But there are many studies to prove the potential health benefits of CBD in pain management. The anti-inflammatory properties of CBD help reduce plantar fascia’s inflammation and provide relief from pain.
Clinical studies  have proved that CBD inhibits the proliferation of T cells. T Cells can both promote and suppress chronic pain  as they activate various mediators like endogenous opioids, pro, and anti-inflammatory cytokines, proteases to control pain directly or indirectly by their effects on pain-sensing neurons or indirectly by modulating the neuroinflammation. Furthermore, CBD reduces the proinflammatory cytokine levels, induces T cell apoptosis, and diminishes the migration and adhesion of immune cells.
CBD is widely used in patients with diabetic neuropathy, and plantar fasciitis commonly coexists with diabetic neuropathy. In relation to this, a study was published in 2020  . This study talked about the effects of CBD oil on the pain due to diabetic neuropathy. This study with 29 participants had positive results; CBD provided relief in foot pain symptoms and also helped reduce inflammation. So, does CBD oil help treat plantar fasciitis? Probably yes. Both these foot conditions have similar symptoms such as tissue degradation and pain which leads to heel pain.