CBD Gummies for Kids: Is it Safe? [What Parents Need To Know]
Young as they are, children can be diagnosed with medical conditions that may require them to undergo treatments or take medications. For parents, the best thing to do is to try viable options like CBD gummies for kids to help them cope with their conditions.
Many conditions can be effectively treated with conventional regimens, but researchers are now finding more efficient options. Children with conditions such as epilepsy, hyperactivity, anxiety, and autism, just to name a few, were found to benefit from what cannabidiol (CBD) can offer.
If you are interested in the potential of this phytocannabinoid to help your child, one of your options is CBD gummies as it is easy to consume and appealing to children. Keep reading to learn more about this option.
What are CBD Gummies?
CBD gummies are only one of the many types of CBD-infused products you will find at a dispensary or sometimes at a drug or grocery store near you.
They are just like your regular gummies with different colors, sizes, and flavors, except they contain cannabidiol, a highly medicinal cannabinoid from the cannabis plant.
Products infused with CBD are widely available across the United States thanks to the 2018 Farm Bill, which legalized the cultivation, harvesting, and distribution of industrial hemp. To qualify as hemp, the crop should contain tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) less than 0.3%.
Still, keep in mind that the Controlled Substances Act still lists marijuana and its cannabinoids as Schedule I substances, making it illegal on the federal level, but hemp-derived products are good to go.
The thing about gummies, or any CBD products for that matter, is that they can be made with two types of cannabinoid extracts: isolates and using full-spectrum.
CBD Gummies And Terpenes
Cannabidiol isolates are those that are purely CBD, which means that it does not have THC, while full-spectrum extracts contain all the other cannabinoids, terpenes, and flavonoids of the plant, albeit in trace amounts.
These two have their respective benefits. For example, isolates contain higher doses of the cannabinoid, making it perfect for long-term or experienced users. It does not contain THC, so there is no need to worry about drug tests.
Meanwhile, full-spectrum extracts are bound to have a small amount of THC. What makes it attractive for many is that cannabinoids are known to amplify one another’s benefits, creating the so-called entourage effect or the synergy of all the cannabinoids once consumed.
These infused chews can be made to take different forms and flavors, such as fruit-flavored bears, sour worms , colorful cubes, and many more.
Aside from CBD gummies, you can also find THC gummies that offer their own therapeutic and recreational effects. Other products you can find include CBD-infused oils, tinctures, chocolates, lotions, and creams, even shampoos and beauty products!
Are CBD Gummies for Kids Safe?
As an adult, you are probably more willing to try a gummy, but when talking about your children, you might have some concerns. The first question you might ask is this: can a child take CBD gummies ?
The World Health Organization generally considers CBD safe , according to Child Mind. There is no evidence of dependence or abuse, as well as health issues when it comes to using isolates.
Clinical trials and other studies have also shown that this phytocannabinoid can help treat certain medical conditions, including those that children suffer from.
One thing that can make a difference between safety and risks is the dosage. Adults can take an average dosage because of their body size and type, but with the smaller bodies of children, smaller amounts can be enough.
When thinking of getting CBD gummies for kids , the first step is to consult your child’s pediatrician, especially if they are undergoing other treatments or medications.
Should you decide to proceed, keep in mind that CBD interacts with the universal regulator of the body, the endocannabinoid system. This means that the effects of cannabinoids can be a two-way street, depending on what your child’s body needs.
Some studies also say that prolonged use of this cannabinoid in large amounts can cause kidney and liver problems.
If you consider CBD gummies for kids , remember that more research focused on children must understand how this cannabinoid can affect children fully. The good news is more studies are underway.
Why Should You Consider CBD Gummies for Your Kids?
As mentioned, CBD gummies for kids have many medical potentials to help them deal with their conditions.
Some of the conditions that CBD can help address are severe forms of epilepsy, mood and mental disorders, perinatal brain injury, neuroblastoma, and symptoms of behavioral and developmental needs.
The Food and Drug Administration has even approved the drug Epidiolex , which contains CBD as its main component for treating Lennox-Gastaut and Dravet syndromes. Both of these are severe types of epilepsy.
Research shows that this phytocannabinoid can help address anxiety, stress, attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), sleep issues, and autism.
Now, if you are wondering why CBD gummies for kids are a recommended choice, what you should remember is that these can taste just like regular chewy candies. Your kid may not be willing to take tablets or oil, but they will certainly consider eating these CBD candies.
Just make sure to keep the supply out of children’s reach as they can easily be confused for non-CBD candies.
How to Calculate CBD Dosage for Children
If you get the signal from your kid’s doctor, you should keep in mind that the key to effectively and safely using CBD gummies for kids is dosage.
Say your pediatrician provided a prescription or recommendation for your child, and you are heading out to get the gummies from a dispensary or store. The first thing you want to do is check the label to see how much of the cannabinoid/s each gummy contains.
As mentioned, any legal hemp-derived CBD product should have THC levels less than 0.3%. Make sure to pick up CBD gummies for kids that are within this legal threshold.
To know how much to give your kid, take note of their weight. It is best to start with 0.5 mg per pound .
Once you calculate their body weight, look at the product label to see how many gummies you can give your child.
Make sure to give your child the minimum allowable amount for a start, then observe how it affects your child. Then, you can start increasing the dosage if you see good results.
Experts recommend increasing the dose up to 30 mg. Just make sure to get medical supervision throughout the treatment plan and you are good to go. Regular consultations with your kid’s doctor are also recommended,
One thing you need to know is that some studies have revealed that not all products are labeled accurately. Researchers found that some products contained more CBD compared to the label, while others had less.
Given this, there is also a possibility that some products have more or less THC than what is stated on the label.
The reason for this may be the fact that while CBD is technically legal because of the 2018 Farm Bill, cannabinoids and cannabis itself remain to be illegal on the federal level, which means that these products are not federally regulated.
Choosing the Best CBD Gummies for Kids
Getting the right CBD gummies for kids is important to ensure their health and safety. Based on the fact that many companies now produce such products without federal regulation, you want to make sure that you get from a dependable brand like CBD Genesis.
Remember, the best CBD for kids comes from a reliable and trustworthy brand. If you have been consuming CBD, you can ask your dispensary if your preferred brand has its line for children. They can also recommend other trusted options for your children.
Make sure to go for reputable brands as they tend to label their products correctly if you are concerned about the actual cannabinoid content of the gummies.
If you want to ensure that your kid consumes products that do not have other cannabinoids and terpenes, go for CBD gummies for kids infused with isolates.
Just a word of warning, though: isolates usually contain higher amounts of the cannabinoid. Make sure to note the content per gummy and compute the number of gummies acceptable to your child from there.
If you are willing to give your child candies with minimal amounts of other cannabinoids, and if you have permission from your child’s doctor, then you can go for full-spectrum CBD gummies for kids.
Now, flavor and shape may not seem like a big issue, but for kids, they are. So, why not take some time to ask your child about their preferred gummies?
They can choose from bears, worms, cubes, and other shapes, as well as fruity and sour flavors. Trust us; your children will thank you when they get these therapeutic treats.
CBD gummies may be just what you and your child need to help them cope with their condition. Now that you know the essentials of this cannabinoid, you can start looking for the best CBD gummies out there. To find them, check out CBD Genesis ’ line of gummies.
CBD Gummies for Kids
CBD gummies for kids are a blessing in disguise for parents with fussy kids who refuse to even touch health supplements or vitamins placed in front of them. Parents whose kids suffer from ADHD symptoms, anxiety, and other mental health issues swear by CBD. After all, no parent would want to see their kid suffer and struggle at home and at school. Yes, pharmaceutical drugs do exist to tackle such health issues in children, but they are not free of side-effects.
If you are a parent and hoping to explore alternative options for symptom management, you might want to consider CBD. Here, we have provided you with all the information regarding CBD gummies that you need before giving them to your kids.
10 Best CBD Gummies for Kids in 2022
Ingredients: Pectin, Corn Syrup, Sugar, Citric Acid, Mct Oil (Medium Chain Triglycerides Coconut Oils), Sunflower Lecithin, Grape Flavor, Fd&c Red, No.40, Fd&c Blue No.2, Purified Water And Hemp Extract.
Ingredients: Manufactured with Hemp with Cannabidiol (CBD), Corn Syrup, Sugar, Water, Gelatin, Citric Acid, Pectin, Natural and Artificial Flavors, Vegetable Oil, Carnauba Leaf Wax, FD&C Yellow 5, Red 40, Yellow 6, Blue 1
View all CBD Gummies for Kids
What are CBD Gummies for Kids?
CBD gummies for children are special gummies and have their own gummy bear juice, which is CBD oil. These gummies won’t make your child super-fast or strong, but it can make them more confident and help them to relax.
Also, CBD gummies are made in a similar way as regular gummy bears. Typically, they are made from gelatin, but some manufactures might use gum Arabic. Flavors, sweeteners, colors, and citric acid is mixed with the gelatin to make the gummies tasty. Finally, CBD oil is added to the mix.
Marijuana gummies are one of the best forms of CBD for kids, especially because children already love gummy bears since they’re delicious.
When Should You Consider Giving These Gummies to Your Kids?
Not all kids benefit from CBD. But, there are few children whose quality of life can be dramatically improved with the use of CBD. The most common reasons to give CBD-infused gummies to your kids are:
- As a natural alternative to pain management;
- To prevent or alleviate nausea;
- To get rid of anxiety in autistic or anxious children;
- To manage autoimmune disease and inflammation;
- To help children sleep the entire night;
- To get rid of the symptoms of certain kinds of epileptic conditions.
Here, learn about the health benefits of CBD for common symptoms or health problems experienced by children.
- CBD gummies for ADHD – Hyperactivity, inattention, or impulsivity are some of the symptoms of ADHD, which present before the age of 12. Even though research is still underway, initial results suggest that CBD helps children with ADHD. Cannabidiol gummies for kids with ADHD help children relax, sleep more soundly, and fall asleep quicker.
- CBD gummies for kids with insomnia – Insomnia is one of the most common reasons why parents give CBD gummies to their kids. Overstimulation is a primary reason why some children have trouble shutting off and their brains remain active for hours in bed. This might be because they spend a lot of time watching TV or playing games on the computer. Kids who have trouble sleeping often become irritable and experience severe mood swings. CBD gummies are an excellent supplement for helping children fall asleep.
- CBD gummies for kids with anxiety – Kids experience anxiety and it might be from pressure at school or home, nutritional deficiencies, or trouble making friends. It is quite normal and most kids manage to overcome it without the need for pharmaceutical medications. However, some kids struggle with anxiety, and these gummies can be used to address their issues. CBD works by enhancing the activity of the neurotransmitters found in the brain. These neurotransmitters are tasked with the responsibility of decreasing hyperactivity, and therefore, helps the brain to relax. Check out our reviews for the top 10 best CBD gummies for kids with anxiety.
- CBD gummies for kids with epilepsy – CBD’s ability to treat epilepsy is one of the reasons why this compound became so popular. CBD gummies can help both children and adults manage epilepsy and lead a normal life.
- CBD gummies for kids with autism – Autism is increasingly becoming a common diagnosis and there’s no cure for it. Even though there are medications available for autism, but they’re unreliable and come with adverse side effects. CBD gummies may not cure autism, but it can help manage the symptoms, especially seizures, anxiety, and mood swings.
- CBD gummies for children with asthma – Asthma is caused due to the swelling and inflammation of the airways. Asthma attacks can range from mild to severe, and some of them can even be life-threatening. There are medications to treat asthma, but if your child has built a tolerance for them, they’re going to be ineffective. Since CBD is a powerful anti-inflammatory compound, it helps to prevent asthmatic attacks. Also, CBD gummies are a natural way to deal with asthma.
- CBD gummies for kids with motion sickness and nausea – Motion sickness and nausea are experienced by most children. There can be myriad reasons that cause such reactions. As CBD interacts closely with the endocannabinoid system in the body, it presents its breakdown and alleviates nausea and motion sickness.
- CBD gummies for children with skin conditions – Rashes, sunburns, bug bites, ingrown hairs, eczema, and flaky skin are some of the skin conditions that your child might be suffering from. CBD gummies can help address the underlying reasons for these skin disorders and offer relief. Even topical CBD products are available for such conditions. However, consult with your healthcare provider before using CBD-infused topical products on your child.
So, these are a few benefits of using CBD hemp gummies for kids. CBD can help your child sleep, be calmer, and get relief. Also, this is a natural alternative and it doesn’t come with side effects. If you want more information regarding good CBD gummies for kids, you can take a look at our list of the best CBD gummies that you can give to your kid.
More choices available
CBD gummies are the safest way of introducing cannabidiol to your kids. Gummies already come with a pre-meditated dosage and you don’t need to measure it yourself. However, there are no standard CBD gummies for kids dosage. Due to their smaller size, children may require lower doses. But, the dosage actually depends on a number of factors like weight, height, metabolism, and the purpose of taking the gummies.
The recommended dosage is going to vary according to the condition that your child is suffering from, along with his or her tolerance levels. The tolerance level of your child is an important factor to take into consideration as that varies widely. So, it is going to be a bit of a trial and error process to find the correct dosage for your child.
The best solution would be to start small and slowly work your way up. If the small dosage is not helping your child, you can keep increasing the dosage until you’ve achieved the desired result. Also, do not forget to speak to your kid’s pediatrician about giving your child CBD gummies, especially if your kid is already taking other supplements or medications.
To conclude, CBD gummies are safe for all and your child can greatly benefit from them. But, seek professional advice before starting this journey.
Reasons for Using It for Your Kid
- Kids love gummy bears and they’re available in so many different flavors. You’ll get your child to eat a gummy so much faster than swallowing a few drops of CBD oil.
- Gummies can be easily carried around.
- There’s a set dose of CBD in each gummy.
You can take a look at our reviews of the top 10 list of the best CBD gummies for kids to decide which one is right for your kid.
Factors to Consider Before Buying
- Ingredients used for making the gummy – Check the label properly to ascertain that the gummies are not packed with sugar and other undesirable elements. Insist on CBD gummies that are made from all-nature ingredients, without any preservatives or artificial sweeteners.
- CBD concentration – The dosage of CBD in each gummy is a crucial consideration when purchasing CBD gummies for kids. Consider the tolerance level, weight, and severity of the child’s condition. We recommend that you start with lower concentrations of CBD per serving like 10 or 30 mg. You can gradually increase the concentration according to your child’s reaction.
- Sourcing method – CBD is either derived from hemp or marijuana. Hemp-derived CBD tends to be free of the psychoactive THC and it is best for your child.
Our reviews will give you all the information regarding the method of sourcing, CBD concentration, and ingredients of the gummies so that you can make an informed choice.
Will CBD Gummies Make Children High?
Most parents ask this question before deciding to give their kids CBD gummies and the answer is no. These gummies will not make your child high. But, you have to make sure to read the label and choose a product that has a THC content of 0.3% or less.
THC is the primary psychoactive constituent of the marijuana plant. So, go through our list of the best tasting CBD gummies for kids to make your choice. We have reviewed the ones that are safe for children.